Anyone who knows me knows: I love quotes.
I am forever highlighting, underlining, circling and writing in the margins of books. I can't loan people any of my books because they're so marked up.
Georgia O'Keefe offers, time and again, great comments, insights and observations about life.
Here are my 5 Favorite Georgia O'Keefe Quotes (though I'm sure there are more):
- I do not like the idea of happiness. It's too momentary. I would say that I was always busy and interested in something. Interest has more meaning to me than the idea of happiness.
- I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life - and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.
- I have already settled it for myself so flattery and criticism go down the same drain and I am quite free.
- The men liked to put me down as the best woman painter. I think I'm one of the best painters.
- Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant; there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.
My favorite is the third: I have already settled it for myself so flattery and criticism go down the same drain and I am quite free.
If ever there was a goal (except for being utterly kind and true, of course), this is it.
It's tempting to think these words ring true to me because I am a writer. However, this quote applies to anything.
It applies to parenting, beauty, faith...all of it.
Settle it for yourself and then let the chips fall where they may; they don't matter at all when one is true to oneself and honest with one's intentions.
Incidentally, I just told my 12-year-old daughter I was writing a post about Georgia O'Keefe, and she asked, "Who is that?"
Be still my beating heart. Who knew I had so much work to do???
I'm off to write, bake a birthday cake, get a workout in and tidy up the house.